Monday, May 24, 2010

Because I'm so awesome. . .

tee hee! Because I am so freaking awesome I just fixed our diswasher myself and saved us about $120.00. It wasn't filling with water at all. Everything else was working, just no water. So, I called around and got told the fix was the inlet valve, the stupid man at the shop didn't think I could fix it. I fix everything around here. I am the plumber. So, I looked it up online and the instructions said it was an easy fix that should take less than an hour. I called the shop guy back and told him to order the part for $35.00. He had suggested I call a diswasher repair man and the rates go as follow: $60.00 just to come out, $60.00/hr, plus the cost of the part $35.00. It was so easy to fix. The hardest part was waiting the two days for the part. So, I got it changed out and water still wasn't getting in the diswasher. So, I looked online again and decided to check the float valve. It was soooo dirty, I cleaned it out and it started working. Now, the question is, did I waste $35.00 on a new inlet valve? Or were both things stopping my dishwasher from filling with water, I guess we'll never know, but, I feel pretty awesome that I just saved us $120.00 from the stupid dishwasher repair man. Pfff, who needs a dishwasher repair man when I'm around??? :)

11 comments:

FOREVER YOUNGblood said...

mine is not cleaning at all,i don't know what to do. maybe I will take mine apart.

bon said...

You GO girl!

Unknown said...

You rock the house Mama!

Unknown said...

Shandail, you should just have "Superwoman" come over. She'll know what to do! lol!

Superwoman said...

Grins! Thanks all, I do feel pretty awesome about it all. It feels nice to be able to tell the stupid man at the shop who looks at you like you're an idiot that yes, indeed, I can fix that, it's not that hard!

FOREVER YOUNGblood said...

I will make you a deal, I will give you a carton of fresh chicken eggs if you come look at my dishwasher. lol

Superwoman said...

Shandial, it probably just needs to be cleaned out and that is something that I just really don't like to do!

Bob said...

You're awesome!

I hate paying for appliance repairs, seems like a waste of money, and half the time the guy doesn't fix it right anyway. Usually if the local appliance shop doesn't stock whatever part I need I just order it online, there's a couple of good appliance repair places on the net that I've used over the years.

Bob said...

Just thought I'd add a trick for cleaning a dishwasher that I've used is to add about a cup of vinegar to it. And run the hot water at the sink first to make sure it's good and hot. Start the DW, wait for it to fill, then open it and pour the vinegar in. Restart the wash, and that should help. It helps get rid of hard water deposits that can plug things up.

There's also a cleaner that you can buy at appliance stores, I think it's called Dishwasher Magic. I think it sells for $8 or $9, but I've always just used vinegar. It's cheap.

Katie said...

now I know who to call ... do you make housecalls to Davis County?

Mel said...

you are freaking awesome girl!!!