Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hug your kids a little tighter today

For those of you who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you may or may not be aware that during our main church meeting (sacrament meeting) we don't hear from a Preacher, we hear from other members who prepare talks on specific topics. Today was a hard one to hear. We had a couple come from another ward (a group of members who meet together) and they gave such a heart wrenching talk. Their point was that our trials will become sacred as they lead us closer to God. Their message, unimaginable. The spoke about how three years ago they lost their sweet three year old daughter to drowning at Lake Powell. My heart broke to hear them speak, I wanted to grab my children and hug them tighter and tighter. However, through the atonement of Jesus Christ they were/are able to come through the darkness and pain of losing their daughter at such a young age. They have been able to draw closer to God by trusting in Him. They appear to be the "perfect family", they are both thin, attractive people, they seem to have plenty of money, they have a beautiful family. I have to admit that when I saw them on the stand before I heard them speak I had some unkind thoughts. (I do have a little jealous green monster in here, I just try to hide him away) How humbled I was. What amazing people, how well they are handling such a difficult trial. I can not imagine losing one of my children, I only hope I would handle it in such a way if the unimaginable happened. If you want to read their blog it is www.binksfamilyblog.com. If you want to read their story click on the link at the top of the page titled nightmare/miracle/blessing (Kamberlie). I must warn you though, be prepared with a few tissues. I think the lesson I learned (again) today is you can never judge a book by it's cover. What an amazing family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I wish I could have been there.