Tuesday, June 10, 2008

goin' phishing and why we have health insurance

UGH!!! I hate it when blogger decides not to publish, I guess I'll write my story again. I think I got my first phishing email. It was from the IRS. Lucky us! We get another 900.00!!!! Don't worry, I didn't push any buttons on the email. I looked up the email address for the IRS for phishing scams and forwarded it to them. I know our government isn't that generous.

In other news, I thought I might explain why we will never be without health insurance. Every once in a while I hear about some young couple who decides that since they hardly ever get sick they will skip the health insurance to save money. That usually changes really fast as soon as child number one comes along. This story is a prime example of one of those reasons. Friday night I was sitting upstairs cooking dinner when I hear this horrible scream. Thinking that (as usual) one of the kids is harrassing the other I yell down the stairs "what is going on down there". Cookie screams up at me "I hurt myself". I told him to come here and I would see what was going on. He starts walking up the stairs and there is blood all over his hands. I of course get him up to me asap and put a towel on it. I try to figure out what happened because his head is gushing blood and just keep hearing "I hurt myself". Sushi grabbed a pantyliner and some gauze and put that on the wound and I hop in the car to take cookie to the instacare. On the way to the instacare cookie keeps wanting to fall asleep. I get to the instacare and as soon as they hear he keeps wanting to fall asleep, they tell me to go to the emergency room. They're afraid he will need a CT scan and that he has a concussion. So, rather than go to our insurance's prefered hospital (that will have us waiting for 6-8 hours) I go to another hospital in the area that will get him right in. Sure enough, he was right in and thankfully, no concussion, no CT scan. They did however put three staples in his head. We were going to go to the instacare after dinner because cookie had been complaining about his ear so I had them check that out while we were there. Sure enough, he also had an ear infection. The upside of this is that now I no longer have to explain why I don't want him standing on my exercise ball and the hospital got him right in and we didn't have to wait all night. The downside is that since this is not a prefered hospital we will probably have a few hundred dollars we will have to pay out of our pocket. But, I'm glad my boy is alright. And that my friends, is why we will never go without health insurance while we have kids. I couldn't get any pictures of the staples because cookie was embarrassed but I did get a picture of his shirt with the awesome blood spatter. Thankfully, we were able to get all the blood out, that is one of cookie's favorite outfits and it would have been sad to have to toss it.

Photobucket

9 comments:

bonrhe said...

Holy Tamales... these things just stop your heart don't they? And then you heart starts right back up and you calmly assess and go fix everything somehow. Because you are Parents, and that's what Parents do.

Superwoman said...

yep, that pretty much sums it up!

Teri said...

I can't imagine going through this with kids.

I can't imagine not having insurance for anyone. I'm single but I still need the coverage for regular stuff. And nowadays, you just never know what could happen.

Cheer34 said...

kids and insurance go hand in hand....so do older parents.....I had to use the emergency clinic yesterday...not for an emergency just to have my ear checked...good thing I did....nasty is all I will say....my co pay was $30.00

Cheer34 said...

Glad to know your little one is doing better.....th eblood on the shirt made me wretch

Superwoman said...

Teri- I agree and I have always had insurance even when I was single.

cheer- sorry the ear was nasty, lol,I'm also sorry the blood made you wretch, and you had a son who played football???

Sushiboy said...

The blood coming out of Cookie's head was not a fun sight to behold. The Sight of staples in his scalp isn't great either but I'll take that over the bleeding.

Unknown said...

Cookie monster is so sweet! He cracked me up the other night when we watched them! He's so smart and not shy at all. I hope his head heals okay. We had to go without insurance for a couple years before Dave got his job. I was always anticipating a major accident. Thankfully one never came, but I'm am soooo thankful for insurance these days. We've definitely used our share of the benefits!

Jodi said...

Wow, I can totally relate. #3 child hit #1 child over the head with a plaque (long story) and we were off for stitches in #1's head. I almost passed out watching them do it!

Recently, #4 fell riding his scooter and had to get stitches in the palm of his left hand. Ugh. I hate blood.

J.