Monday, September 22, 2008

The Hampster tragedy and Cookie rides a bike!

Well, cookie got to deal with his first tragedy with an animal. One of the reasons I allow my children to have pets is because I believe it is such a great learning experience. I think they learn responsibility and they learn about life, birth and death. I believe it's a lot easier to start talking about death and life after death when a pet dies than when someone close in the family dies. But I digress. Cookie has been putting his hampster (pencil) into crazy cages lately. Whatever containers he can find. The other day I walked into his room and didn't see pencil in it's cage so I asked him where pencil was. He had put pencil into a container without any air and the poor little thing had suffocated. It truly was heartbreaking to see the poor dead little hampster. We went out to the garden and buried it and decided to see if we could find another dwarf hampster at our local pet store. He was lucky. They had two males left. We picked one up and he named it. . . . . pencil. The new pencil is more aggressive and bites cookie sometimes but they are starting to get used to each other and I think he will be a good hampster. He is WAY more nocternal than the old pencil and does some pretty funny things like roll around in the woodchips like a dog.

And now for something completely different. . . Cookie finally figured out how to ride a two wheeled bike on his own yesterday at my family dinner! Everytime he has visited grandma and grandpa's house he works on it and yesterday he just took off! I suggested we could take his training wheels off his bike at home and he informed me he wasn't quite ready for that but at least at gradma's house he'll ride a two wheeler just fine. I'm so proud of my little cookie!

Update: We just got back from getting Cookie from school and he asked me to remove his training wheels. Then proceded to ride around without training wheels all by himself. Now we just need to work on getting him to use the brakes. . .

5 comments:

Tug said...

Sorry to hear about the hamster, but you're right in your approach about what having pets teaches kids!

I.LOVE. the riding the bike thing - isn't that exciting?? YAY Cookie!

G'ma Nasus said...

So cute :) Be glad you are writing this all down. So much is forgotten so quickly. Children grow up way too fast. Enjoy each moment.

Cheer34 said...

ohhhh the poor hampster....what a way to go......sorry

brakes are an important device to know about.....

Superwoman said...

tug- it was horribly heartbreaking but he did learn a very hard, important lesson about taking care of things correctly. Too bad it was at the expense of the hampster.

g'ma nasus- It's true, I have a horrible memory, this has kind of become my journal in a lot of ways. For some reason I don't write in a journal, I blog

cheer- agreed, on all fronts.

BigSister said...

So has he gotten over the trauma yet? Big Grizz was joking around about the cute name of Pencil that Cookie is continuing to use. He said that you now have a #2 Pencil. lol