Friday, August 15, 2008

My Secret Olympic Dreams

One of the unknown facts about me is that I swam for 10 years of my life. From the time I was 8 until I graduated from HS at 18. By the time I graduated I was tired of it. As a young kid when people would ask what I wanted to be I would tell them I wanted to be an olympic swimmer. This is a common dream and about on par with wanting to be a superhero or a policeman. Watching the olympics has literally made me itch with wanting to be in the water again. Feeling the water stream by your body as you glide through it and it feels and looks so effortless. Being able to close your eyes and feel the rythm of your arms and legs kicking in perfect harmony. Watching the athletes win and lose has brought back the wonderful and sometimes painful memories of the end of the race. When you hit the wall and immediately look up at the scoreboard to see if you won or not. If all those thousands of hours of gym time and pool time have paid off. Sometimes it didn't matter if you won, only if you did your best. I miss all those things. I mentioned all this to sushiboy today. Now is not the time to get back into swimming. I have a little bit of a problem with drag (lol), I have no one to watch my children while I go to the pool for two hours a day. I think it would be great to get on a masters team and get back into that competition, especially when you see such great inspiration as Dana Torres, a single mother who is 41 and getting olympic gold. I don't think I could win olympic metals but I could feel that thrill of knowing I won the race again. Perhaps when this child goes to preschool. . .

3 comments:

bon said...

Yup! That Dana Torres is sort of my new hero! Not that I enjoy swimming. Like, at all. Just that she is getting better with AGE! Woot!

Fantastagirl said...

I think there are going to be many women out there who to try to do their unthinkable because of her - she is just amazing - did you see her last night, she asked the judges to wait until all the competitors were out there - because one's suit had fallen apart. What an amazing act of sportsmanship.

Tug said...

Start by getting your kids to the pool, whether it be lessons or just the family hanging out... I've heard so many horror stories about kids drowning, I NAGGED (I know, surprise, right?) my daughter to get her kids into lessons, and they LOVE water now! You'll be in the water, and can pursue your dreams as they're available!